OTAG petitions Ottawa City Council to enact transparency measure
Dear Mayor Jim Watson & Ottawa City Council,
Friday at the hydro rally, the enclosed petition was signed by property taxpayers.
On behalf of taxpayers, we request that you reconsider the decision to withhold information that can be used to reduce the need for higher taxes and new revenue tools.
We kindly also request that you put this petition to a vote at the next City Council meeting. Please let us know the results of the vote.
Ottawa Taxpayer Advocacy Group
A Petition To Ottawa Mayor / Ottawa City Councillors- Re April 25, Ontario Superior Court Proceeding, 9am, 161 Elgin Street- firstname.lastname@example.org
To Ottawa City Council:
- Whereas, there is an ongoing Toronto Divisional Court Judicial Review of a decision by Premier Kathlynne Wynne’s to allegedly use over $9 billion in subway / LRT / gas tax funding for an alleged improper purpose of intimidating the TTC to breach a contract and sole source to Presto;
- Whereas, there is an ongoing Toronto Divisional Court Judicial Review of an irrational policy decision to link $600 million in Ottawa LRT funding to Presto;
- Whereas, "Mr. Chiarelli has made it clear that he does not see a link between the City's participation in the Presto program and receiving the $600 million for the LRT project, and frankly neither do we said Deans"... This is a contract penned by bureaucrats but it has to be practical;
- Whereas, evidence that shows that the Province blamed bureaucrats for these decisions, could determine the outcome of the Toronto court proceeding, which will affect the integrity of $100 billion annual public sector procurement;
- Whereas, evidence that someone from the Province already agreed to remove the clause that the Toronto Divisional Court is being asked to remove;
- Whereas, the Municipal Act includes a transparency mandate and the City has had almost 1 year to disclose the source of information that is already public;
We the undersigned petition Council of the City of Ottawa as follows: Since disclosure does not impact the City in any way, the City should disclose the evidence sought.