FCA-Ottawa Urban Forest Management Plan Submission to City of Ottawa
Please find attached the Federation of Citizens' Associations' submission regarding the proposed Urban Forest Management Plan. We will be pleased to work with the City to make preservation of existing trees and forests, and replanting a forest for the benefit of future generations, a reality.
Some key points are:
· Forestry's operational plan needs to dovetail with the city's climate change plan, given the well-known fact that trees are a major contributor to carbon sequestration.
· The Urban Forest Management Plan must dovetail with the City's Official Plan and other Management Plans.
· The focus should be on caring for existing trees. Healthy trees are safe trees.
· Monitoring compliance with and enforcement of existing laws and By-laws is crucial to this effort.
· Individual forest systems within the urban forest should receive special treatment.
· Urban forest planting and replanting must be done according to a comprehensive long-term vision. Many local tree species are slow-growing and are only middle aged at 150 years.
· The FCA asks the City to consult with representatives from its member communities, and/or local citizen scientists and/or residents, whenever possible, when determining appropriate action on tree-related issues on public property, and especially in parks.